Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Week 10



Pears II, acrylic on board, 12"x 12"


I painted four paintings this week... the pears twice. I did the painting below first (it's a possible donation it to an auction). I was tired at the time and got very timid about the painting. I have been missing a more simple style I was working with a while ago (other examples can be found at http://kalenmeyer.com/km_gallery/nw_milk.html). So after feeling very dissatisfied with Pears I, I did the painting above. It's done with my favorite three paint colors: 
titanium white, raw sienna and paynes grey. 

The pared down paintings somehow hold my interest more, 
I can spend a long time looking at them.

 Doing this assignment, I have to paint no matter how tired I am, but I am finding I can't be 
too tired, otherwise I am not fearless about the paint.

I realize that 18 weeks will be a good time finish this series. 18 is a sixth of 108, and at 18 weeks I have to get started working on my summer camp.






Pears I, acrylic on canvas, 8"x 8"








Landscape, acrylic on board, 12"x 9"


Another landscape from the train. I am pretty sure this is from the high plains east of Glacier.







Martin Luther King, Jr., acrylic on board, 8"x 10"


One of my most admired historical figures. Coincidentally, as I was touching up this painting, I happened to be listening to Bill Moyers on NPR and the subject was King's multiracial fight for justice. It was an amazing experience to be working on intimate details on his face as I was hearing his voice on the radio. Moyers played excerpts of King's speeches on how racial equality is linked to economic equity. King's remarks were completely current to what is going on in this country today, 45 years after his death.
I am in awe of this great man, flaws and all. 
This entire country should be taking his words to heart.






The people keeping me company in my studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment